Friday, June 18, 2010

Unity and Genocide: One Continent



Watching the opening presentation of the FIFA World Cup on ESPN always mesmerizes me and gives me chills.  The whole world is practically coming together to enjoy a universal game.  Something about that truly fascinates me.  Call me out if I may be ignorant by saying this but while encapsulating the excitement and enormity of the event, I feel this year's presentation, especially the tv theme intro captures a part of the beautiful African essence and nature.  
While flipping the channels, I saw a brief image of a map of the African continent.  When I flipped the channel to ESPN the map was still in my head and immediately I remembered the genocide occurring in DARFUR.  300,000 people are already murdered and another two million are living in death's danger.  


Here's some food for thought:
Everyone is celebrating world unity to the extent of a practical vision of temporary world peace in South Africa because of the World Cup.  3,000 miles north however, 500+ people are dying PER DAY, not including being raped, abused, stolen and injured in DARFUR.


So are we really all coming together for "world peace?"  Or are we just palming the idea for good looks?  I'm not saying the World Cup shouldn't happen;  we need it times of war like this to provide us distraction as well as faith and patriotism for our country and faith in the world.  I just find it ironic that millions of people are coming together for a world event on the same continent that is suffering one of the worst genocides in history.




No comments:

Post a Comment